There was a problem with using SeaMonkey 2.0.4 as the CUPS web interface on slow PCs. Running /usr/sbin/cups_shell, the initial information html page came up ok, but not the CUPS interface page. There is a while loop that waits for SM to be fully loaded, that needed to be modified.
Thanks to rcrsn51 for reporting all of this on the Quirky 018 forum feedback thread:
The file /etc/cups/snmp.conf has the odd ownership root:. This prevents CUPS from detecting network printers. I changed it to root:nobody and did a CUPS restart.
The symlink /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb to /opt/samba/bin/smbspool is missing. This prevents access to Windows shared printers.
The file /etc/opt/samba/smb.conf needs to be world-readable.
I have put fixes for these into /usr/sbin/cups_shell, for Samba installed into either /usr or /opt.
Comments:Posted on 12 Apr 2010, 21:43 by Jemimah
another printing fix
To get Chrome to print in Puppeee, I had to replace the pdf2ps filter with the one in this ticket.
Apparently the ghostscript-based filter cannot handle the pdfs that come out of Chrome, and maybe other software packages. Images would generally print ok, but text was extremely garbled.
Posted on 11 May 2010, 14:10 by jpeps (thanks: rcrsn51)
symlink issue Cups 1.3.11
Issue: unknown smb device error in cups 1.3.11
replace smb symlink with renamed copy of smbspool
/usr/lib/cups/backend/smb == /opt/samba/bin/smbspool