THIS BLOG IS ARCHIVED
The new blog is just about setup the way I like it, and is looking very good.
What is truly amazing is the speed. Google rates it at 97/100 for mobiles, and 95/100 for the desktop.
My new host, shared account, omnis.com, has slightly slower server response times than hostgator.com (which is the one running this blog). Even so, Bashblog is lightning fast.
Being static, it is also secure.
Tada, here it is:
The new blog is for Linux-related posts. I intend to setup another for personal and other topics.
No comments I have posted recently about archiving this blog, as I am moving to a new host.
As it is a fresh start, I evaluated about a dozen CMSs (Content Management Systems) and blogs. Some of them are very nice, but I was always unsatisfied with the speed (lack of) and server overhead.
The problem is, I am comparing with this blog, which is a small perl script, derived from PPLOG. It rates 95/100 on the google site speed test. Many CMS/blog systems rated quite high, up to 87, some were woeful, down around 50-60.
Then I thought some more about what I really want. Most of my sites are static web pages. The only dynamic part is the blog.
Hence, I moved on to evaluating static site generators. Apparently, there are over 450 of them. I waded through a couple of dozen of those, before finding Bashblog.
Very simple, and creates a somewhat rudimentary, yet capable blog. The Bashblog website:
The author seems to have designed it to run 'bb.sh' on the remote site. I did that, but there are limitations, so I set it up to run locally, and I wrote a one-line rsync command to sync with the remote site.
This is the result:
The text is a bit small, I need to play around with the css file.
It is also supposed to have Disqus commenting, I don't know why that isn't working.
There is absolutely no server overhead in this. Posts are created in markdown and posted as html. They are just static html pages, already archived. Brilliant!
I plan to post a howto sometime, on how I have setup Bashblog, and mods.
Since these blogs have no server overhead, I will probably have at least one more, a personal blog.
Bashblog uses 'Markdown.pl' from here:
No comments This blog that you are looking at now, is a special version of 'pe_pplog', that was created when my blog was under attack. That was back in 2013/2014.
Puppy forum member 'efiabruni' is the developer of pe_pplog, and here is where she has kept my special version:
Efia has her blog running here:
A couple of days ago, I downloaded her latest version from github, but found that posts failed. The hint as to why is a bugfix reported in her last post, which appears to have repcussions -- I suspect the latest change has not been actually tested.
Yesterday, I sent an email to Efia, no reply yet. I did have a go at fixing it myself, but having zero knowledge of perl doesn't help.
So, are there any other descendents of PPLOG. There was sc0ttman's JSPPLOG, but I found his website is gone.
However, 01micko has created 'sjpplog_ng':
You can see this blog in action here:
Here is a forum thread on pe_pplog, back in 2013:
No comments Yippee, I have finally upgraded JWM!
Quirky has been using version 976 from git, for years. This is the "2.2.x" series. Now I have compiled version 2.3.7, released 20170721. This page explains differences between the 2.2 and 2.3 series:
All of my collection of JWM theme PETs will need to be upgraded. So far, have just done the 'brightdeepblue' PET, as used in the latest Quirky and Easy.
The 'jwmconfig2' PET is for the old version. Rather than fix it, I am now using radky's PupControl, which has JWMDesk in it.
2Comments I posted recently about an overhaul of the help files in Easy:
Then I considered moving frm html to markdown:
But no, the richness of html is far superior to markdown, and mdview only supports a basic set of tags.
Folder /usr/share/doc/easy has help.sh, home.sh and welcome.sh. When run, these generate help_lang.htm, home_lang.htm and welcome_lang.htm, where "lang" is the two-character code for the language, ex "de" for German.
Symlinks help.htm, home.htm and welcome.htm are also created.
I am using momanager to create .mo files for help.sh, home.sh and welcome.sh. Just a note: currently there is a bug with latest momanager, so I am using an older version. As a precaution, I will leave the older version in woofQ, at /usr/sbin/momanager0.
TEXTDOMAIN is "easyhelp", and so far I have done fr, de and da, using google online translator:
Google asked for $68 to translate an entire .po file, but it can be done for free, more slowly, by pasting the text into the left-hand English side. But, the easyhelp.po file has to be done in two parts.
Obviously, the google translations are going to be less than optimum. I will upload 'easyos.po' and invite anyone interested, to insert translations. Will post a comment when that is done.
Pages:      ...