T2 on the Raspberry Pi3


I have used T2 to compile Puppy and Quirky from source, for i486, i686 and x86_64 target architectures.
In the Puppy days, there was Wary and Racy Puppy, with Quirky there was the April series.

I posted about the online Bones repository for T2, for building Quirky April, back in Jan. 2015:
http://barryk.org/news/?viewDetailed=00157

The web page that introduces Bones and explains how to download T2 for April, is here:
http://barryk.org/bones/

I haven't looked at T2 much in the last couple of years, but one thing on my to-do list has been to try a native ARM build.

Which is what I am doing right now. Now that I have my 1TB hard drives working on the Pi3, there was my T2 project on the drive, tempting me to have a go.

I am using the old T2 in my Bones repository, rather than the latest from t2-project.org, as mine is heavily customised. Will think about upgrading T2 later.

I chose the "embedded" target in T2, and "cortex-a8" CPU as there isn't a "cortex-a7" option, nor anything else that looks reasonable for the Pi2 and Pi3. Sticking with 32-bit.

Let it run overnight, had to get up a few times to fix something. This morning, it is still in "Stage 0", which is the cross-toolchain building stage. But, it is doing well, I am actually quite surprised.


Comments:

dietlibc mystery   Posted on 3 Dec 2016, 9:06 by admin
Got a real mystery with dietlibc. I have emailed a question to Felix, the creator of dietlibc, and posted to the Puppy Forum:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=934447#934447

The same problem that is causing dietlibc to be broken in Quirky, is also the same reason why dietlibc won't compile in T2.


Stuck at dietlibc, stage 1   Posted on 2 Dec 2016, 19:25 by admin
T2 compile got to stage 1, glibc failed but I fixed that.

Then dietlibc failed, and this is where I am stuck. Heaps of undefined symbols.

There was one that I fixed, as documented back in January 2016:
https://www.mail-archive.com/t2@t2-project.org/msg03209.html

After that, I got overwhelmed by them. Back in Jan, it was a x32 cross-build, this time it is a armv7 native build. Same problems.

In fact, I tried to compile dietlibc directly in Quirky, same problems.

Dietlibc does not like the headers in Quirky! Fiddled around for awhile, have given up.